FRIENDS

Wednesday, October 14, 2009

Introducing The Gnomes

I've always been enchanted with the wee ones and especially Pixies and Fairies, but son Buddy recently gave me another book on Gnomes and I've fallen head over heels in love with these amazing little folks.

Realizing that not everyone is a lover of tiny woodland beings I decided not to fill the post with pictures but for those who are you may be surprised to learn that Papa Gnome pictured below is almost 6 " tall without his cap and Mama about the same.

Papa seems to be frowning but no he is only squinting from the harsh daylight as you see they rarely appear before dark preferring to do their sleeping during the hours when the rest of the world is out and about.

They are not considered grown up until around the age of 100 and this comely gent is about 275 in this picture and his life span would be somewhere around 400 years. They do not die of illnesses but rather of just old age or those who have fallen victim to an animal of prey, thus another reason for staying indoors in the daytime.

However when they do actually reach the end of their lives, they are both usually ready to go at the same time and they simply walk off hand in hand never to return and begin their journey to the Mountain of Death and their birthday tree then begins to get dead branches signifying they have reached their destinations.


Mama seen here is an older woman and perhaps even a grandmother. Although their hair begins to gray at about 100 they are then just beginning to think of marrying and they only ovulate once in a lifetime. They always have twins and they can be both of one sex or one of each. They are pregnant for one whole year! And the babes nurse for the entire year. A youngin wets their beds until they are around 10 years of age, so you can see Mama Gnome truly has her hands full. At the age of 10 she then begins to teach the girl child the art of homemaking while Papa sets about the lessons to his son of how to become a man. This continues for practically 90 years. And we think we have it tough!

So trod ever so gently when you trek through the woods and in flower bed digging and weed pulling be mindful of what you disturb and as for using shovels near the bases of trees, well that is strictly a No No as most of the entry ways to their wee homes are constructed near the base of trees.
*****************************************************************************************

I am just about finished with the group of primitive rag dolls I began a few weeks ago for my Etsy shop and when done with the last I am thinking of a line of Gnomes and won't that be cute and fun to make? Oh my head................it's a buzzing.
Our church is beginning a Prayer Shawl Ministry in a couple of weeks and we have a planning meeting today so I will cut my post short to get some stuff ready for that, but I was wondering if any of you are familiar with this new ministry and have some input of how it has developed in your churches that you could share with me. We're excited about getting started and for those who do not know anything about it, it is a program/ministry where those who love to knit or crochet get together and make shawls or lap robes, or wraps for specific people who are ill or have been diagnosed with something and are hurting both physically, mentally and spiritually and while the yarn creation is being stitched, the person is prayed for by the "stitcher" and at the end of the 6-week period, the lap robes or shawls are blessed at the altar and are taken to the recipients. Isn't this a beautiful way to share our talents with someone hurting. So I am excited and ready to get started.
And if that isn't enough for one day, I promised to give a permanent to a friend who will be coming over this afternoon. I am always scared something will go wrong and when I remove the rollers, the hair will come out too! Ya know a chemical goof up from the factory or something. teehee.................really not funny is it.
Have a great Wednesday and see ya in the funnies! mizmollye


2 comments:

  1. Hi molly, I've been catching up on your posts and as always I have spent the last little bit being enchanted by your tales. So glad I found your blog. My time on puter has been limited by many things for the last week or so, as we all know life happens and we have to go with it. But I stop in and read every chance I get, and tho I try sometimes I run out of time and cant leave a comment. Good luck with your shawl project, it sounds like fun. Have a great day!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love your posts. No, as far as I know we don't have anything like that over here, but it sounds a wonderful idea. Good luck with your perming! Suzie. xxx

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking your valuable time to tell me what you are thinking about!