FRIENDS

Friday, February 5, 2010

WHEN YOUR BONES FEEL COLD

you're just cold and miserable all over..................



And when you just can't seem to get warm the only thing you want to eat is SOUP!

This recipe is borrrowed from Ina M. Abrahamzon, who would have been 100 years young today. She writes that this soup recipe was what her momma made for the men as they came in from farm work when chilled to the bone from the harsh Nebraska winters. She was raised in a sod house and lived there until an adult.

Old-Fashioned Vegetable Soup

1 soup bone with scraps of meat on it
1 cabbage
1 turnip
1 onion
1 rutabaga
3 carrots
1 parsnip
Celery and other veggies as desired.

NOTE: Personally I've never bought a parsnip so I'll leave that little goodie out!

Boil bone til meat from bones falls off and remove bone. Allow stock to stand and cool so part of the fat may be removed.

Chop cleaned veggies and cook in stock in a large kettle; seasoning to taste. Cook until veggies are done. Serve piping hot with crackers or corn bread.

Yum...yum. Pass the soup please!

3 comments:

  1. Mollye sweetie...
    It's cold out here, can you please answer this door? I have been knocking and knocking. I am here for that soup. I just decided to run right over. This would be great with cornbread. I love it with butter when it is warm and you get that instant melt. Love it.

    Thanks for sharing. We are still having sun and 70(ish) days. Now you know what I love about the desert, it is so refreshing here.

    I pray you are doing okay. When did you say you get to go back home?

    I bet I know where you are going to be this Sunday? Who did we say was going to win? Do I need to ask? The Saints have my vote. Go Boys!!!

    Talk to you soon sweetie. Country hugs and so much love to you...Sherry

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi, Mollye...

    Oh, that soup looks good. We have the perfect cold, grey day for it, too! YUM!

    Hope all is well in your corner of the world. I've been MIA due to house things and volunteer responsibilities, etc. THought I would check in here today and blog! I've missed all of you.

    Hope you are having a good time getting ready for WHO DAT to open up a can of Louisiana Whupem to win this game!

    XO,

    Sheila :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. You are so right Mollye, there is nothing more warming than a bowl of homemade soup. I love it. Good recipe! suzie xxx

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking your valuable time to tell me what you are thinking about!